Lately, I have sat in front of my plate a few times and have consciously chosen to apply this mindful eating thing. The result: I had joy in my meal and was full much quicker. My dads little voice came up in my head, ”wait 20 minutes, if your still hungry then you can get seconds but chances are you will not need to.” The 20-minute rule works great when you eat this way. We often eat so much more than our body needs and, in many cases, we get much less nourishment due to our choices.
As with all disciplines, I would like to be able to implement this on all my meals but like every muscle, it must be practiced daily for it to grow and become a habit. I am a work in progress but have definitely set this as a goal. Just because I am chef, it does not mean I don’t struggle with food. Actually, I always have. Therefore, it does take effort and discipline. I am not always successful at sticking to my plan but I am ok with that as well.
5 chica tips to practice mindful eating
1. Remove any distractions (good-bye phone)
2. Plan your meals so that you know you are incorporating nutritionally dense options.
3. Eat slowly and enjoy every bite.
4. Work on releasing any emotional connection to food.
5. Be in tune with your body and learn to recognize your physical hunger cues.
What is your mindful experience?