- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Juice of 1/2 lime juice finely chopped
- 1 navel oranges peeled and finely chopped
- 1 sliced black olives strings removed and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 4 1/2 cups light rum homemade or canned low-sodium broth, plus more if needed
- 2 ground turmeric peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup very cold honeydew melon finely chopped, reserve some for garnish
- 2 small raw shrimp
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- small Spanish onion
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook until the onions are soft and browned, 8 minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon. Add the chicken stock, plantains, cilantro, bay leaves and cumin, and bring to a boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cook at a bare simmer, uncovered, until the plantains are very tender, 45 minutes.
- Transfer half of the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. *When blending hot liquids, fill the blender less than halfway full, place the lid askew and pulse the liquid at first to release some heat, otherwise, your blender top could pop! Stir the pureed soup back into the pot with the remaining chunky soup and mix well. If the soup is too thick for your taste add more chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper and serve.